Nov 1, 2013

Steampunks On a Witch Hat

 
What alot of fun I had creating this piece.  It all began with Michael's paper mache witch hat.
 
I tore strips of paper a DCWV Paper pad.  After tearing them, I distressed them with TH Distress Inks. You can see how I embossed a piece of chicken wire, gears and some Martha Stewart's halloween  punches, cat and bats, I tripled up on each for depth.
I used regular aluminum foil and adhered it to the hat then embossed my items.
 
I painted my skeleton with white acrylic paint.  Lisa Pavelka's Micro Gears were added to his pelvic area and hat.  The hat came from a Jolee's Sticker pkg that had several skull heads with different hats on them.  I modified the hat a bit.  Gears for eyes and nose and in his hand a key from Beads Landing.
 
Scary words were from a Halloween Sticker set, I decided to paint it white.

This birdie was stripped of his feathers, painted with Viva's Inka Silver Metallic Rub and covered in Micro Gears adhered with Glossy Accents because it dries clear.

The Pumpkin skeleton I painted with Viva's Inka Silver Metallic Rub.  I added a butterfly onto his back, a Art-i-Cake witch embellishment coming out of the hat.  I added rhinestones for eyes, I tore pieces of window screen and adhered them throughout the hat.  Several spiders were painted white and also placed throughout the hat.  I was able to to bend the arms and legs of the skeleton by using a heat gun at the joints, do a little at a time.  Be careful not to melt it off!



A Melissa Francis Resin Bench was added, distressed with DI Vintage Photo and added one of TH's Plaquette.  Small Burgundy roses were added around the had on top of a TH beaded chain.




Notice the zombie charm by his hand. 
 


Here is the backside of the pumpkin skeleton.  It's from TH's Shapers & Movers Butterflies.  I inked it up, glossed it and added some small pieces of screen.
 

These are pieces of branches I gathered up from my backyard.  The leaves are from Martha Stewart's Leaf punch that I cut out of metallic cardstock.  I went around each leaf with a burgundy Copic Pen.  Most of the leaves were back to back and creased to add depth.

Here you can see the chicken wire embossed on both sides of the hat.  

A few embellishments, coffin, TH Alpha letters that spell "spooky".
 
I added the unbrella to add some f & f (funkiness and flair).
 
Another shot of the birdie.
 
A closer shot at the embossed gear and bat.
 
Here I embossed and used Alcohol Inks on the butterfly that was cut out of metal.  Spider webs added via glue gun.  A trick I learned from Tim when I attended one of his workshops.
 
A nice picture of the Melissa Francis Bench.  
 

 Here is the project lit up.  I made holes small enough to fit one of these rice lights throughout the hat.


Here is an outside shot of my project with 2 of my 3 dogs, Chase a Maltese and Princess Leia a white Shepherd.  I also have an elderly black Lab named Anakin.  Did I mention I'm a huge Star Wars fan?
Hope I was able to give you some inspiration.  Don't forget to follow me!
Thank you for your time.

26 comments:

Tarnished Rose said...

COOL!

Susan McMenamin said...

I love your latest project, Ivette! You must have spent many hours on the hat. It's incredible!!
~Susan Mc

Dorothy said...

Very cool!!!!

Sue B said...

Oh Wow! this is awesome!! I'm glad you took lots of photos as there is so much too see… so many gorgeous details.. it really is a stunning creation and i love how it lights up!!
Thanks for joining us at Divas by Design this week!
Have a lovely weekend!
Hugs Sue B xx

n1sunrider said...

Thank you ladies for your comments.. I read them all and appreciate you all taking the time to comment.

Deborah Adams said...

Wow! What an awesome Halloween decoration. I love it. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at OSAAT.

Deborah Adams said...

This is such an awesome Halloween hat. Totally love all the embellishments you used. (I tried to post a comment earlier not sure if it showed up, so posted again.)
Thanks so much for sharing your project with at OSAAT.

pam hicks said...

that is an awesome piece of work, cant image how long it took but worth it though, I love it x

Ingrid Mason said...

Oh my goodness, this Halloween decoration is amazing. There's just so much to see. Thank you for all the wonderful photographs, I hope you could hear all my gasps of awe as I spent time enjoying them all. Now I just hope you've got somewhere safe to say store this wonderful creation until next year because all your beautiful work really does need to be enjoyed year on year. Good luck in our challenge this week. Ingrid xx ( OSAAT Team )

CraftyGirl said...

This is spooktacular. Love the hat and all those haunted embellishments. Thank you for playing along this week at OSAAT. I sure hope to see you back again very soon. Good Luck in the challenge!!!

TTFN,

CraftyGirl OSAAT DT
craftygirlcardsandcrafts.blogspot.com

Margaret said...

I'm in awe of your fabulous creativity. This is amazing. Thanks for joining us at OSAAT this week. Good luck. Maggie - DT

Nikki Byrne said...

Such an awesome project!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us this week at OSAAT and good luck. Hugs

Nikki DT

Chriss America Real said...

Wow! This is fantastic!

Thank you for playing along with the Stitchy Angels this week!

Hugs,
Chriss - DT - OSAAT
http://onestitchatatimechallenge.blogspot.com/www.chrissandlou.blogspot.com

crafty-stamper said...

Fantastic project love all the embellishments and looking at your description it must have taken a lot of work-thanks for joining us at Lej Designs
Carol DT x

Dewi Lestari said...

It's stunning! Thanks for joining at Sweet Pea Stampers: Halloween
Hugs
Dewi

Leanne said...

Thanks for playing our challenge, great detail, and a wonderful creation!

Leanne DT @4 Crafty Chicks!

debby4000 said...

WOW this is amazing, interesting details.
Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge.

luv
Debby

Sylvia Meppen-Rentenaar said...

Oh my.. what a awesome project! There must be so many ours of work in to it! I love every detail! Thank you so much for playing along with Sweet Pea Stampers "Halloween". Hope to see you more! Sylvia, DT-member Sweet Pea Stampers

Kitt said...

Wow, what a fabulous creation. Well Done. Thanks for joining us at Craftitude Challenges. Good Luck.

DeBe said...

Absolutely stunning! I am shaking in my boots! I love the mechanical bird and all the detail that you have put in. Amazing!Thank-you for joining us at the Scrappers Delights Challenge Halloween. Denyse X

Susan Kennedy said...

This is AMAZING!!!! Gorgeous hat! Wow!! All the details .. you must have been working on this forever!!! I love it!!

- Susan
{Scrap A Thousand Words}
{Open-Minded Crafting Fun Challenges} *New Challenge Blog*

ps... There is a DT Call over at Open-Minded Crafting Fun Challenges

Granmargaret said...

Great work. Thank you for joining us at Sweet Pea Stampers.

toni said...

Just seen this on the eP blog, it is simply stunning a really great inspiring project . Love it !!

Taniaj Scott said...

Wonderful Halloween hat, great image and colours. Thank you for joining us at
Stamping Dragon with our Halloween Challenge. Hugs Tania (DT)xx

dmcnewyork said...

Very cool Ivette! There's so much on that little hat!!! The funny thing is that I bought one of those hats at Michael's because it was so cute...and on sale...LOL! I wasn't sure what I would do with it, but you have inspired me. Thanks for sharing!

dmcnewyork said...

Congrats on the design team spot. They are lucky to have you on the team. Can't wait to see more of your creations.