May 31, 2023

A Perfect Time To Craft Challenge - June 2023 Sponsor: Dr. Digi

                  Hello everyone!         

     This month we have the wonderful sponsor

                       Dr. Digi

I'm a big fan of Dr. Digi's images, they are funny and cute and has a lot to choose from.   I decided to go with the British Summertime image which I downloaded and printed onto Neenah Solar White Extra Smooth card stock.



As soon as I saw this image I saw sadness all over it.   Sadly, I lost a fellow retired NYPD officer who was in a dark place and committed suicide on April 19, 2023.  I did my best to keep him in the light, but it wasn't enough.  God knows...

His passing took a toll on me and I dove into my art to work through it and I tell you, art really does imitate life, or death.  He is the second retired cop that I know who has committed suicide.

With that being said I decided to use this image to bring awareness to Mental Health. 

I used my Copic markers and my metallic mirror pen to color in the image, the nuts/bolts on the bench and on the thermos.  Can't really tell on the photo but it looks neat.  I then fussy cut the image out.

I had some grungy pieces of card stock laying around and used that as the background, used Distress Ink Walnut Stain around the edges to give it a darker feel.  

For the background I used TCW by designer Ronda Palazzari's 6x6 Mini Urban Landscape stencil, I used Distress Ink Pumice Stone and Vintage Photo to give the scene depth of field.

Used Simon Hurley's 6x6 Looks Like Rain stencil (I added extra raindrops) using one of my favorite products, Glossy Accent to create the wetness on the umbrella and ground.

Using leftover pieces of card stock I wrote out the sentiment cut them out and  hit it with some Fired Brick Distress Ink around the edges of each word, used pop dots to give them the 3D effect and called it the day.  

So my crafty friends, I turned something dark and brought it to light by sharing this project.  When you read between someone's words and you get the feeling something is not right, go with that feeling because that is your conscience sending an alert that something is not right here.  Learn to listen to your conscience if you're not already in tune with it,  its given to us by our Creator, God for a reason.  

Reach out to friends, even strangers when you see something is not right, you may save their life and make a difference even if its just a smile, a wave or a random act of kindness (RAK).  

Mental illness affects all of us to a degree, these days... we are ALL going and dealing with something.

   Sending love and hugs to everyone.   Don't forget make some time for yourself even if it's 15 minutes a day, they're YOUR 15 mins to calm the brain and heart.

If you're feeling up to join our challenge by clicking the link below (scroll down) and win some digital images.

A Perfect Time To Craft Challenge.blogspot.com


Thank you for passing by to view my work and don't forget to click on the blue "Follow" button.  
Stay safe everyone and always stay humble & kind!
Ivette (Ivy)

IN MEMORY OF 
NYPD Retired PO Andre Malave

 

                    

1 comment:

  1. Your art work is so beautiful and inspiring. I love the colors and how you use shadows and blending techniques.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you were inspired!